Tuesday, July 24, 2007

TRUE LOVE TUESDAY: DEFINING TRUE LOVE

I came across a definition of true love in a book I was reading called The Emperor of Ocean Park, by Stephen Carter. In this fabulous book the main character Talcott Garland was in the midst of marital problems all while following clues his late father left him--check my library link at the bottom of my blog for this book. Anyway, here was this beautiful definition that I believe I was supposed to see at that moment. I had this book for almost 2 years before I read it, so I am convinced that I was destined to read it when I did. Yes this is all so metaphysical--but that is my life. So here is the definition.

True Love is not the helpless desire to possess the cherished object of one's fervent affection; true love is the disciplined generosity we require of ourselves for the sake of another when we would rather be selfish. Talcott Garland, The Emperor of Ocean Park-a novel by Stephen Carter

2 comments:

? said...

Sounds like God was speaking to you through the author's words. Definitely not a coincidence.

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

I certainly feel that way too! Thanks for stopping by.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    LoveTALK Radio

    Listen to internet radio with Lovebabz LOVETALK on Blog Talk Radio

    LoveBabz She Writes

    Search This Blog

    Followers

    Labels

    Blog Archive