Wednesday, May 13, 2009

CAN YOU STAND THE RAIN?

One the biggest lessons I have learned over the past several years is Who Stands With Me When The Storm Clouds Draw Near? You see anyone can be down with you when things are good. It costs them nothing to act like they care. To act like they love you. But the minute trouble comes, they disappear. They say they are giving you space to discern, to handle your business. They stop calling, they can't be reached. They leave you in the storm while they seek higher ground.

Folks can say all the niceties they want. They can even show up after the storm and say I was always there. I was always thinking about you. I never left. But really in my heart I was deserted in my neediest hours. In my darkest moments. I know who stood with me. I know who stands with me even now. The handful of folks that had my back no matter what, no matter how uncomfortable, no matter how much it could hurt them politically, personally and legally they stood with me...SOLID. To accept anything less in any of my relationships is not only not honoring them...but not honoring me.

It is in our most challenging moments that illuminate our character. What we do in the moments of great stress and uncertainty tells us who we are and what we are made of. Those that love us not only stand with us in those moments, but they share their umbrella. They get soaked with us because they know that real love...true love does not say ...I can't deal...but rather how can I help...support...show love.

3 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

Oh lady, you said that...and it's so true. I have experienced the same...but today my load is lighter because of their exits...and today i know who i am, and who i am to be. They will always be in my heart, but their actions, emotions or opinions will no longer rule my mind!

Solomon said...

My road has been a bit rocky the last few years also, and out of all my friends, only a couple stood by me, through thick and thin. Most of the people I thought were my friends turned out to not really be friends at all, but a bunch of folks who like you said, would gladly come back after the dust settles, and remeind me how they were there for me. or they were always thinking of me, even though they didn't call to see how I was doing.

And like you, I have a few friends that have had my back the whole way, as a matter of fact I don't know if I would have made it without them.

It is a true blessing to have even a couple people that have your back, even in the worst of situations.

Thank God for true friendships, and friends that care, no matter what!

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Miz,
You are so on point. A lighter load indeed.

Solomon,
I am convinced that trouble shakes out fake friends from true love friends.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    LoveTALK Radio

    Listen to internet radio with Lovebabz LOVETALK on Blog Talk Radio

    LoveBabz She Writes

    Search This Blog

    Followers

    Labels

    Blog Archive