Friday, September 14, 2007

FAITH FORWARD FRIDAY: I AM MORE THAN MY WORST MOMENT

I am coming into my own. What I know now at 44 is so different than what I thought I knew at 24 and 34. I am more confident about who I am. I can depend on me. I am not helpless and I am not mindless. This season of my life is one of the best. I know I have a lot going on and a lot to deal with. I am handling it all in stride. None of this stuff killed me. None of this stuff takes away from all the cool stuff I have done in my life. I have stood in the Oval Office with then President Bill Clinton, talking about early childhood education. I have helped bring the Jacob Lawrence exhibit to NYC MoMA. I have worked backstage at the Essence Awards with Oprah hosting. I have adopted 4 children. I have taught business courses on the college level. I coordinated a hot line for our local Rape Crisis Center. I was sexually abused as a child. I have delivered meals to people shut in with AIDS and HIV. I have volunteered for years with Habitat for Humanity. I was elected to public office twice. I was a police commissioner. I committed a federal white collar crime. I am not the sum total of my worst days, there is so much more to me and that is where my faith resides; in all the best I have to offer. My best days are just up over the hill and I am ready...almost.

5 comments:

? said...

To have done all of that within only 44 years is amazing. You are living a full, vibrant life.

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

When I lay it out I get a better perspective about my life. I have been able to make a difference in the world. I needed to remind myself of that. And to know that I have more good days ahead.

laurie said...

Yes! That's it! We are all more than our worst moments. You are very wise, my friend.

Piecake said...

And there is your answer if your children do hear a version of your story from other parents. You are so much more than this one thing happening now.
Knowledge is power, but self knowledge is an even greater power.

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Each day that I get past this, I am amazed that It hasn't killed me. Things always seem so much bigger until you go through it. Then I think, huh, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (and it's bad--but). Each time I amazed at the revelation.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    LoveTALK Radio

    Listen to internet radio with Lovebabz LOVETALK on Blog Talk Radio

    LoveBabz She Writes

    Search This Blog

    Followers

    Labels

    Blog Archive