Friday, October 5, 2012

Couch-To-5K... Yes I Am Training!

I decided to to train for a 5K Race.  9 weeks.

On facebook I am friends with so many fitness minded and fitness focused Sisters that I am inspired.  I saw the founders of Black Girls Run! on some show and I thought YES!

So it's W1D3 (Week 1 Day 3) and I feel good.  I bought the app for my iphone.  I like it.  I feel connected, focused and COMMITTED!

I refuse to turn 50 in May 2013 and remain in this state of poor health.  I have serious health goals that I want to accomplish.  I want the second half of my life to be fit.  I want to be vibrant and I want to be HEALTHY!

I am looking to buy my 1st pair of quality running shoes.  I am reading, and learning about how to be a good runner.  I am all in and I love it!

And yes I have been loading up my ipod with great running music! LOL!  Shoot! I was running to "Warm It Up Kane", by Big Daddy Kane.  LOL... Old skool for sure!

I'll periodically post my progress.  I like the direction God and I are taking my life.

 


1 comment:

Big Mark 243 said...

If you were to research your shoe needs and wants, you can do that and go to Famous Footwear for a very good pair... I tell people to look to spend at LEAST $75, even catching the better shoes on sale...

If you can't run on a track, try to get to a park and run on grass... and yes, this is a "pot" issue as I am an urban runner who prefers running out of his house, which means I am on the sidewalk/pavement all the time... DO NOT DO THAT..! Especially at the beginning...

Another thing you can do is speed walk... one of the things people get caught up in is "running" when usually it is a jog... a speed walk burns calories and is MUCH easier on your body... do you look funny... YES, but WHO CARES..? It is about how you feel, right??

Get a minimum of a half-hour in EACH time you go out... a half aerobic/run session does not work like a half-done weight training session, IMO... if you don't get your roadwork in... hey, Joe Frazier said it best regarding the consequences of not doing your road work... "If you cheated on your roadwork in the dark of morning, you will be found out under the bright lights at night"...

... good luck and be careful... got to repeat how important it is that you run on a softer surface, esp. at first... even if it means running on grass/pavement by stepping on your neighbors lawn (if you are up early, they won't notice!) because you will avoid dreaded shin splints that way...

...Ooh, there is an exercise that involves flexing your foot, leg extended back and forth. This will cause a tightening of the sheath on the shin and that strengthens it... you DON'T want to get shin splints... they can become chronic...

Whew..! Enough advice... enjoy the run and we want to see your times as you go..! You are only competing against yourself, so as long as you are doing YOUR BEST, that is what counts..!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    LoveTALK Radio

    Listen to internet radio with Lovebabz LOVETALK on Blog Talk Radio

    LoveBabz She Writes

    Search This Blog

    Followers

    Labels

    Blog Archive