Friday, November 4, 2011

Good Bye Uncle Lonnie

I am on my way to Columbia, South Carolina. My Uncle Lonnie died. It is stunning to imagine my life without his physical presence.  I am doing the eulogy.  I have written a poem for the program.  I trust God will fill me with the most beautiful words to say.


Conversation.

The conversation began when I was born
of world, wars, love

He talked, I dreamed
of family, lovers, strangers, God

He talked, I dreamed
of career, passion, who shall I become

The conversation began when I was born

A rich running dialogue
of loss, remembrance, celebration

He talked, I dreamed

Dreamed
Of All that is
And all he hoped I would be.

As heaven would host him
Now I am
The talker
He the dreamer
And the conversation continues

Infinite

The way we know love to be.

8 comments:

KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

Dearest Sis, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you will do a fantastic job with the service.

(((HUGS)))

Mizrepresent said...

My condolences to you and your famiily. Have a safe journey Sis, and the poem is lovely!

Big Mark 243 said...

My condolences and thoughts go with you Babz... and I think your eulogy is beautiful...

Lovebabz said...

Thank you Kay C.

Thank you Miz.

Thank you Big Mark 243.

It was a lovely day. I am exhausted.

bayoucreole said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your poem is beautiful.

Just Kel said...

May comfort and peace flood you & the rest of your family during this time of bereavement.

Beautiful poem.

May your Uncle Lonnie sleep in peace.

Moanerplicity said...

OMG! What a wonderfully, GORGEOUSLY emotional & insightful poem! Please believe that your beloved Uncle Lonnie would be uber proud of you & these words you've penned. It's so sad that real raw tragic situations tend to bring out our most authentically creative selves.

I can tell you that halfway thru this piece, while reading it out loud, I almost broke down & cried. That's how much I FELT you.

So sorry for your loss, my Sista. I know it must be profound.



One Love.

Lovebabz said...

Thank you bayoucreole.

Sister Kel, I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

Lin,
I am moved that someone of your wordsmithing caliber finds anything I write of value. Thank you. I am honored and moved.