Saturday, September 1, 2007

I AM ALRIGHT: MY UNCLE LONNIE COMES FOR A VISIT

This will be brief, because its Saturday and it's absolutely beautiful here today! There is a lush breeze and a slight crispness in the air. I have to enjoy this day, so my post will be short. My uncle Lonnie flew in yesterday from Columbia SC. He got on a plane and came to Connecticut. He did not alert us or anything. When he got to the airport he rented car and drove himself in--he is the original GPS. What make him so special--well for thing he is my late mother's youngest brother and only living brother, he is about 16 years older than me, and he is probably the only man in my entire life that has not hurt me, or mistreated me or molested me. He has been my biggest supporter throughout my ENTIRE life. When it was time to take me off to college, he drove from SC to pick me up in CT to drive me to NC. He taught me how to pack lite. He introduced me to Nikki Giovanni's poetry. He talked to me about the world, and recommended books and movies. Over the years he shared with me his experiences in Vietnam and later Thailand. He was and still is my hero. So his visit is quite moving to me and I know why he is here. He needed to come see about me. And I hope he sees that I am, as I have always been alright. Whatever kindness is in me, whatever commitment to humanity is in me, whatever love is in ME, it was nurtured by him. Did I say this was going to be a short post...SIGH. My Uncle Lonnie is here and I am alright.

4 comments:

? said...

YAY for Uncle Lonnie! He sounds like a great man.

Piecake said...

It's great to have someone like that in life. I'm so glad you have an Uncle Lonnie.

Mocha said...

Reading this with Charlie Mingus playing (thank you for that) brought me to tears. It could have been that he showed Giovanni to you. Or that he just hops in a plane and a car and makes his way to you. It could be that he did this right now in this season of your life. Whatever it is, I'm glad he's there.

That he's there, you know?

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

My Uncle Lonnie is the best! It was so nice having him around.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    LoveTALK Radio

    Listen to internet radio with Lovebabz LOVETALK on Blog Talk Radio

    LoveBabz She Writes

    Search This Blog

    Followers

    Labels

    Blog Archive